Friday, March 28, 2014

Poop Don't Scoop Itself

March 28, 2014

Well I did it! I volunteered at Bryan Animal Shelter and odds are I will be returning tomorrow. I don't know why I was nervous because the experience was great! (well …until poop was involved)

Here's what I did:

When I first arrived there were 4 palates of dog and cat food, kitty litter, and cleaning supplies to unload and place inside. Of all the days for the sun to shine so hot and bright it was today…but there were 3 other volunteers who helped out and it only took 45 minutes, haha. (water never tasted so good). Heres a pic, this is only half :

After a break, it was time to walk dogs! I was able to walk 4 in total and I'm going to introduce you to these sweethearts.

1) lovely, old Irma
She is a 7+ year old, shih tzu. She has really soft wavy hair that bounces up and down when she walks. Her eye sight isn't that great and she doesn't play well with other dogs, but she is a sweet old girl who I hope will find a home soon.
2) big Berger
This picture doesn't show it but Mr. Berger is a tall and lean lab, who was found on Berger St. (hint his name). He was such a sweet boy who worked nice on a leash. Berger and I ran around the enclosure some. The saddest part however was when I was returning him to his cage. He did not want to go in and I had to hold the leash and coax him in slowly to his kennel. It was sad to leave but I'll see him soon. He is too lovable to stay at this shelter long. 

3) Jane
Oh Jane, now she is a head turner. Her fur is beautiful cooper and cream colored, and she has the brightest brown eyes. She was quite timid at first, which is expected. I'm a stranger to her, but with some talking to and ear rubs, she warmed up to me. We ran some, we sat some. It was great. She's a wonderful dog.


4) last but not least is crazy little Stuart
This dog can run and run fast. His name should be Bolt or Firecracker because he is all energy. He is so fun and funny. He would take off with me running along side, and be darting back and forth in front of me smelling every blade of grass in the yard. He was a joy, such a tiny bundle of wiggly joy. 





These are obviously just a few of the dogs at the BAS. Each unique and special in their own right. 

After some dog walking, it was time for some feeding and cleaning. Feeding the dogs was quite easy, just open the door and scoot the bowl in and don't let the dog escape. Luckily I didn't let any dogs past me all thanks to my cat-like reflexes, haha. 

When the dogs were done eating, the bowls are retrieved, cleaned, dried and put away. I then went around and picked up poop. It really wasn't that bad, the worst part was the texture, you know the warm, squishy poop feel through thin plastic? yeah that texture. But it had to be done. 

Oh here's a pic just cause :) using purple bags made it better (but not really)


After that I folded some clean towels and blankets and had a chat with one of the staff about plans for tomorrow. They don't open until noon but she (I really need to learn names) told me the staff is there at 8 because that's when the real cleaning takes place and she said I'm welcome to come, so I'm going to try it out! 

Well in closing, today was a success! I enjoyed my time and I feel good about myself. Also the best showers are the ones that are the most needed and I needed one. 

Well, I'll certainly keep things updated as time goes on.

Peace and love; Adopt don't shop! 




No comments:

Post a Comment