Friday, March 28, 2014

Reading the #signs

March 28, 2014
So later today I’m going to begin volunteering at the Bryan Animal Shelter. I started thinking about this yesterday for some reason…I think because I’ve been looking for a group or organization to join and since animal rescue is close to my heart, why not get involved? So I am going to volunteer and while doing so keep a blog every now and then, mainly so I can keep track with my experience better. 
I’m actually really nervous about it. I mean I watch several animal rescue shows on Animal Planet, like Animal Cops Houston and Pitbulls and Parolees but obviously watching something while sitting on a comfy couch and actually getting out with these lost animals is different. I’m mainly nervous about the whole experience being more sad and depressing than happy. I don’t like to see dogs and cats in cages all day, but I can’t take them all home either…anyway
This morning I woke up and checked my phone as usual and in the back of my mind I was contemplating whether I still wanted to go to the shelter. My decision was solidified when on instagram I came across an adorable picture of a newborn kitten wrapped in a blanket and called a “Purrrrrito.”

Yeah, try not to “aww” this. This picture is so freaking cute that instead of simply scrolling on like usual, I stopped to read the caption. it read:
          “Do you volunteer at your local shelter or rescue? … 
#Adopt #Rescue #Volunteer … #savealife”
Now if that’s isn’t a slap-in-the-face type of sign, I don’t know what is. I mean I’m not one to take hashtags seriously but these appeared at such a time I knew I had to get rid of my hesitation and just do it! Therefore after class today I will go to Bryan Animal Shelter and volunteer and I will be strong because I know the animals need me to be.
If you are interested in getting a dog or cat, I encourage you to look at your local animal shelter. Remember:


No comments:

Post a Comment